Before & After – Sweet Master Bedroom Suite
December 15, 2016
After more than a dozen years of designing interiors, this master bedroom suite in Lake Forest ranks among our most challenging ever. Now we call it “Pitch Perfect.”
All Photos Courtesy of Sweet Peas Design
After more than a dozen years of designing interiors, this master bedroom suite, above, in Lake Forest ranks among our most challenging ever. Now we call it “Pitch Perfect” because so many of the design decisions depended on the unusually steep pitch of the ceiling in the bedroom and ensuite bathroom, and the awkward angles that resulted. To complicate matters, the floor plan in the master bath is zig-zaggy and the bedroom ceiling is voluminous, but we think it turned out beautifully! You can see all the photos in our portfolio here: http://sweetpeas-inspired.com/portfolio/pitch-perfect, but I have some before-and-after highlights below.
FOR THE MASTER BEDROOM
- Created a tailored, textural look that’s simple, sophisticated and pulled-together
- Selected a color palette of greys, camels and ivories
- Flanked the clients’ existing sleigh bed with light-colored, curvy chests for extra storage, and layered a hide rug over the carpeting next to the bed - so cozy for the feet!
- Added pattern with a subtle, grey and ivory geometric fabric on the bench at the foot of the bed (above), and darker gray geometric fabric for the window treatments, below
- Positioned an antique ivory chaise in charcoal wool near the window, below, with a leopard print bolster and finished off the cozy corner with a tiny table and trio of floor accessories, below
- Replaced the existing oak TV cabinet (below) with a fluted media console in grey with satin brass trim (after photo)
- Reupholstered the charming little tufted chair, a family heirloom in sandy colored wool, above
- Added texture and interest with an unusual sand sculpture on the fluted console, above
FOR THE MASTER BATHROOM
- Gutted everything and introduced light, neutral colors
- Installed clients’ must-have marble on the floors, countertops and shower ceiling
- Chose inset-panel cabinets in dove grey to replace oak cabinetry
- Replaced the sit-down vanity with a stand-up version
- Increased light with a trio of sconces plus can lights and a pair of crystal ceiling fixtures
Enlarged shower and installed dual shower heads plus steam option
Our clients are really happy with the more transitional, “lightweight” look in their master bedroom suite. After it was done the wife emailed us and said: “I just sat in my bedroom for two hours tonight, looking around. I love it.”
It was our pleasure!